Tuesday, November 17, 2009

East vs. West

EAST
Every Tuesday and Thursday at 2:30pm is acupuncture. I go to have my liver and immune system strengthened by having needles placed into key areas of my body. She knows I have been ready to start my western treatment and she is not too happy about it although she did say she would not interfere with it and would be happy to use acupuncture in conjunction with my western meds. Again today, she asked if I was certain I wanted to do this (western meds) because it will be toxic to my body and she is more about natural health (as a bottle of Robitussin sat on her desk). Clearly, she is hoping I choose not to do the interferon/ribavirin combo.

WEST
I met my new doc today who will be the one to prescribe and show me how to self-administer the interferon which I am being told will be pegylated interferon which will stay in my blood longer than interferon. He's very no-nonsense which I like and he asked about anything I may be doing to stay healthy and, as most westernerns would, he scoffed at the idea of acupuncture. He agreed it was very good for pain but knows of no cases where it has assisted in the treatment of hepatitis c and he feels as though I should stop and save my money.

He asked if I was ready to begin treatment and, taking a deep breath, I said Yes, I was ready (knowing it'd be the worst 48 weeks of my entire life, but in the grand scheme of things, what is 48 weeks of my life?). He then told me that in about two years, a protease inhibitor will have been approved and released which will increase my chances of beating this nasty virus from 52% to approximately 85%. Do I wait the two years and learn to live with the dragon (the hep term for the virus) or do I slay it now to be done with it? Side effects would be the same but the journey of it would be far more reassuring. Cirrhosis is very unlikely to set in within two years and liver cancer has about the same chance of developing. I could put myself through hell treatment now and hope it works and maybe have to do it all over again in two years dealing with the same side effects OR I could wait the two years and hope my body remains healthy until the protease inhibitor is released.

Being young (again, his words, not mine) and otherwise healthy and fit, but having the most difficult genotype, he is ready to support me in either decision. He drew more blood and I am to call him within the next two weeks for those numbers and with my decision.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Adam! You are facing such an important decision. I support you in using both Eastern and Western medicine. My regime of pegylated interferon and ribivarin was very unpleasant, so much so that I stopped early. Despite poor odds, I was virus free, and am stronger than I was before tx. In December I'll have tests again and find out my current status.
    Look up volunteer organizations now, don't wait until you're sick. If you then don't need them, fine. You may get some direction through orgs that are used to serving younger disabled people or people with HIV. If you can pay for household help such as laundry, cleaning, shopping, do so. Look for organic/healthy food delivery services and have the numbers ready if you need them.
    I blog at www.myhepcjourney.blogspot.com, saw you on Nomads. Best energy, Irene

    ReplyDelete